Caregiving is a difficult task. It’s a 24/7 job, and can often be difficult with little rewards.
When you’re caring for the elderly, every day can seem like the last. Things get routine. One way of making the best of everyday is to give you and the person you are caring for a little time for enjoyment. It doesn’t take a lot of money or a ton of research – even the simplest things can mean the most.
1. Give her a musical greeting card. Pick out a tune that may remind her of times past. Add a quick note, and set it on her bedside table, or where she eats her meals.
2. Bring a fresh bouquet of flowers into the home once a week. Things always look brighter with a fresh scent and vivid colors.
3. Make a special treat. How about some homemade ice cream? Or strawberry shortcake?
4. Buy a new CD and share the music. Keep it light and fun, and maybe even start a sing a long.
5. Like movies? You can find almost anything on DVD or online. Old movies, series, and comedy shows are easy to find, and can always fill a couple of hours in your afternoon or evening.
6. Plan an outing. Why not head out and view the fireworks this 4th of July. There are usually displays in multiple locations, and sometimes on multiple days around the 4th. Check your local newspaper, and head out and enjoy.
7. Start a vegetable garden. Even if the person can’t get out to enjoy the garden, it can be a great release for you as a caregiver, and can provide you both with great vegetables for your table.
8. Start a puzzle. Puzzles range from just a few pieces, to thousands. Choose one appropriate for the person you’re caring for, and enjoy something new.
9. Read a good book together. Sometimes it’s soothing to read and to be read to.
10. Head to your body and bath store, and stock up on lotions. Nothing feels better than a light touch, and a wonderful smell such as lavender in the air.