In many situations, you start out as the primary care giver for your loved one. But what do you do when you need a break? Who is going to help you when you have errands to run? Or when you need to attend to your own family?
Here are 7 tips to help you find an in-home caregiver:
1. Do your research. In home care centers in Colorado have different ways of doing business. Make sure you’re comfortable with the resources you select.
2. Meet the owner. Are you comfortable with their personality? Can you talk with them about any concerns? You may end up working with a case manager, but it is nice to know the owner’s beliefs and positions.
3. Ask questions. You’re new at this process. Any in home care service center you choose should have a lot of experience, and be able to provide you with answers and resources.
4. Find out about experience. Why was the business started? What made the owner choose an in home care service business? What brought them to Colorado?
5. Ask other businesses in your community. Ask the nurse at the hospital. Or your doctor. Or the store where you purchase medical supplies. Referrals are your best resource, and also ask why they recommend. A great answer can definitely put your mind at ease.
6. Try your caregiver out for an hour or two with you at home. Your loved one may be more comfortable with the transition if you are there at first.
7. Plan for some fun in between the work. An in home care giver can provide interaction as well as service. If they will be shuttling your loved one to several doctors’ appointments, a lunch in between might ease the stress.